Certificate of Proficiency in Early Childhood Education Programme (CPECE)
The Mauritius Institute of Education is pleased to offer this programme leading to the ‘’Certificate of Proficiency in Early Childhood Education”
This training programme will equip pre-primary educators with the knowledge, understandings, values, skills and attitudes to provide quality child care and education to our pre-primary children.
A proficiency-based training programme is a very f1exible proposal for educators who are currently working in the Early Childhood Education sector. Such a programme takes cognizance of prior learning, interest in schooling and education, experience and qualifications, recognizing that the entry requirements of the participants would vary, but when they would have fully understood and applied the various learning competencies in their respective programme, they should be able to bring about a more conducive level playing field among school children thus paving the way for more equity in our system of education.
The Certificate of Proficiency in Early Childhood Education (in-service) training programme is an MIE initiative and is offered through a mixed mode, with Distance Education Training in major part. The programme comprises four compulsory areas of study;
1. Professional Studies
2. Curriculum Studies
3. School Based Experience
4. Project Study Write-up.
2. AIM OF THE PROGRAMME
The programme aims at providing trainee pre primary educators with the knowledge, skills and practices that will ensure the proper development of the children as follows:
- A general knowledge on how to teach which is based on principles and skills that cut across areas of learning.
- A knowledge of the specific way that each part/area of development has to be taught.
- A sound curriculum knowledge of programmes and materials that make up the curriculum.
- A relevant and up-to-date knowledge of domains of development of the content.
- Knowledge of the use of the appropriate teaching/learning technology.
- Knowledge of learning how to learn (e.g. learning through self study materials).
Programme Coordinator : Mrs S. Poonet
Assistant Programme Coordinator : Mr K Goodoory